Monday, October 26, 2009

How to stop student loan wage garnishments if you agreed to make default payments?

I recently defaulted on my student loan and contacted the student loan company to before they started garnishing my wages. I agreed to a reasonable monthly payment and made the payments on time when I noticed that my wages were being garnished as well. I contacted the student loan company several times and they kept saying that they would remove the garnishment and that my employer had recieved the paperwork. I contacted my employer's payroll and the stated that they never got the paperwork and I should ask for a copy myself to fax it in myself just in case. The student loan company wouldnt give me a copy of the garnishment letter to the employer and claimed to have faxed the paperwork in. It has been 4 straight pay periods and nothing has been done meanwhile im still making monthly payments directly from my bank account. Is there anyway to stop this? PS: I dont need smart remarks about you should have paid in the first place, i know that much but i couldnt afford to at certain points.



How to stop student loan wage garnishments if you agreed to make default payments?

Well it seems to me if you set up the auto-draft to your bank account willingly you should be able to stop it at will as well. Call your bank and tell them you want to stop sending that company money. Or allow them to take it out of your account, however it was set up.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment